Mix up this delicious cocktail created by Washington, D.C. Chilled 100 Ambassador, Aaron Joseph.
Papas Bitter Truth
Cocktail Courtesy of Aaron Joseph
- 1 oz. Papas Pilar Blonde Rum
- 1 oz. Papas Pilar Dark Rum
- 3/4 oz. Lime Juice
- 1/4 oz. Leopold Fernet
- 1/4 oz. Apple Cider
- 1/2 oz. Maple Syrup
- 1/2 oz. Egg White
Preparation: Dry shake, wet shake, double strain into large champagne coupe. Garnish with dehydrated lime wheel and graded nutmeg.
Meet Aaron Joseph
CHILLED 100 Member, Washington, D.C., and Brand Ambassador for Papas Pilar Rum
Aaron has worked at some of the area’s most prestigious restaurants, including The Inn at Perry Cabin, where he quickly advanced from busser to bartender within a few short months. After six years of service, Aaron had the opportunity to assist in the opening of La Samana, a sister property on St. Maarten. Experiencing island culture and the use of fresh ingredients, Aaron realized his passion for mixology.
Upon his return to the states, Aaron accepted a number of challenging opportunities that allowed him to evolve into a mixologist, creating seasonal cocktails and managing beverage programs at Metropolitan in Annapolis, Farmers & Fishers in Washington, D.C., and Bourbon Steak in Georgetown. Most recently, he served as lead bartender at Wit & Wisdom, A Tavern by Michael Mina.
Aaron was responsible for the creation and execution of Wit & Wisdom’s cocktail program, as well as staff education and training. Elated to simply make good drinks, Aaron has an affinity for putting a clever spin on classic cocktails and enjoys experimenting with house-made syrups and infusing his liquor.
Some of Aaron’s accomplishments include:
- 2015 Finalist for Cognac National Drink Competition
- 2015 Finalist for Clement Rhum Ti’Punch Competition
- 2015 Aaron wrote the foreword for a book called The Forgotten Cocktails, a History of Maryland Cocktails from 1706 to Present
- 2014 Readers’ Choice for Baltimore Magazine’s Best Bartender
- 2014 Portland Cocktail Week Winner of the Cognac Experience Competition
- 2014 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Competition Regional Champion
While he mixes up libations depending on his guests’ tastes, Aaron’s choice is bourbon, and he is eager to foster relationships with local distilleries and producers to source uniquely local ingredients for his cocktails.